Skip to main content

Microgreens Restarted

After several rounds of failed microgreens using Sure-To-Grow growing pads, I've now opted for coconut coir.

The problems that I've had with the pads are that they either dry out too fast between waterings and stay soggy too long after a watering. They also seem prone to growing mold.

My trial microgreens crops are radish, kale and sunflower (one tray of each), started today, November 30, 2015.

I'll now see if I can be successful with a more traditional medium. I suspect that the pads are a poor medium, and that the coir will provide a more evenly moist growing environment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fall seeding 2021

Greenhouse tomatoes were seeded on October 18, 2021. Collard greens and kale were seeded on October 20, 2021.

Melons sown for 2021

20 buckets sown April 4, 2021. 9 seeds in each bucket. Seeds testes in 2018.

Winter greens started

Today, I started 50 cells of winter greens in rockwool. They are: 10 broccoli calabrese 10 Georgia southern collard greens 10 Japanese giant red mustard 10 dwarf blue curled Scotch kale 10 mizuna mustard The collard greens and kale are from seed that was purchased in 2017. The rest of the seed was purchased this year. I topped the rockwool with fine vermiculite and placed the tray in my house because the temperatures are still in the high '80s.